Thursday, October 16, 2014

NICU Day 25

Dr Florendo called with our update, bright and early this morning.  And then her nurse called in early afternoon to say we were going to move rooms.  And then Dr. Caldwell called around 7 and said we were going to start protein tonight.  That was a lot of NICU calls for a day, all good things, but my heart skipped a beat with every unexpected call.  In the end, we stayed in our old room, so that's good to know.

I didn't go visit Baby Girl tonight.  C is sick, again... so now I'm waiting to see if I catch it to.  My throat felt a little scratchy today, so I decided to hold off on visiting.  If I do visit, I'll be wearing a mask until I can figure out whether or not I'm going to catch this bug.  This is the 5th cold C has had since I first found out I was pregnant back in April.  We get sick a lot... C is pretty restless and having trouble sleeping tonight.  My poor boy.
  • Change rate to 20 at midnight, then checking a blood gas at 2 am
  • The dietitian was out yesterday so they will try to discuss the Liquid Protein today.  Her BUN indicates she's getting enough protein now, so they may wait to start it, but the 10 gram weight loss may require something different.  I let her know about the giant poop, in case it makes a difference. Dr Caldwell called at around 7 this evening to tell us she finally got the recommendation from the dietician.  We are going to start with 1/2 gram per kilo of liquid protein.  That will be .7ml every other feeding.
  • 9 alarms overnight, only one required stimulation to come out of it, pretty standard for her.
Weight: 960 grams (up 30 g) - 2.2 lb
Milk: 1055 ml (35.16 oz)
Feeds: 18 ml pushed over 30 min, Iron supplement and 1ml Tri-Vi-Sol, .7 ml protein x 4/day (every other feeding)
NIPPV Remains at 25, 26-32% oxygen.
Day Nurse: Trisha
Night Nurse: Lindsey


  1. I hope she tolerates the added protein well and continues to grow!

  2. Maybe Emergen-C should become part of your daily dietary regiment?