Tuesday, October 7, 2014

NICU Day 16

Today was another quiet day for Baby Girl.  She continues to have apnea spells (forgets to breathe) and Brady spells (her heartbeat slows dramatically).  We're still focused on eating and growing.  The hospital social worker called me today and expressed concern with my preoccupation with not infecting Baby Girl with anything.  They have a strong desire to see me stop wearing the mask, so I did.  Admittedly, it is far more physically comfortable.  It still seems like quite the risk. She is so very small.. but Lori pointed out that we don't want her to think mommy is a blue expressionless mask... Lori says tomorrow I'm doing Kangaroo care without the mask.  If Lori says it... I tend toward doing it, she's just that kind of nurse.  She's been here for more than 31 years and she's pretty dang savvy.

Dr  Dang called with the update at around 4:00
  • Blood gas was a little off, so NIPPV support was increased slightly
  • Oxygen needs still tending to range in the 20s
  • Xray tomorrow
  • Adding a multivitamin for morning and night and an Iron supplement
  • Will talk to nutrition about adding protein to aid in weight gain the goal is actually between 10 and 30 grams and they'd really like to see 30.
I'm very interested in a new blood analysis technology from Theranos.  I wish they had it in the NICU setting, it seems like it could help decrease how much blood they need for labs.  

810 grams (up 10 g) - 1 lb 13 oz
Milk: 810 ml (27 oz)
Day Nurse: Lori
Night Nurse: Jena 

No comments:

Post a Comment