Sunday, November 23, 2014

NICU Day 64

I left the house around 10:45 to go see baby girl today.  I arrived just in time to do cares.  First, I took her temp, which, on the second attempt was warm enough at 36.4 (36.3 is the minimum).   Next, I started to change her diaper.  She had an enormous bowel movement (seriously, girls are way harder to clean up than boys!).  As I cleaned her up, I noticed blood on the wipe :(  The spot of breakdown she had has gotten worse.  Poor baby is very sad.  We're using a special compounded ointment that the hospital makes that will hopefully help.  We also are having her sleep on her belly without a diaper on.  Hopefully some quality open air time will help her rear.  Getting air time and keeping her warm has been an interesting.  Warmed blankets are awesome!  Lori reminded me we can use our dryer to make our own. Pro Tip: apparently microwaves catch blankets on fire.

She was VERY ready to eat after cares.  We settled in to nurse and once she got organized she nursed for about 28 minutes.   It was very cool!  I did talk to lactation about her tendency to "click" during letdown. We're thinking it is either a latch issue or a letdown issue.  After she got done eating, we cuddled up for about an hour then I let her sleep in her bassinet for the remaining 45 minutes before her next round of cares.

Baby Girl had to get her shots during this care round.  The shots were overstimulating and caused her to shut down.  I cuddled her and we spent a couple of hours doing Kangaroo Care after the shots.  I did try and let her nurse one more time, but she was still shut down from the shots.  I didn't want to stress either of us out, so we decided to give her a tube feeding instead and I pumped.



Length: 40.5 cm (+1 cm) = 15.94 inches
Head Circumference: 30.4 (+.7 cm) = 11.96 inches

Weight: 2270 grams +85 grams (5 lbs)
Milk: 1305 (43.5 oz)
Feeds: 43 ml fortified to 24 calories pushed over 30 min
Nursed: 1 nursing session, 28 minutes
Iron supplement 1 ml
Tri-Vi-Sol .5 ml twice a day
Day Nurse: Linsie
Night Nurse: Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment