Thursday, November 6, 2014

NICU Day 45 & 46

Sleep deprivation is taking its toll.  I didn't finish my post yesterday.  So I combined it with today's, fell asleep before I finished it and here we are.

We're really in something of a holding pattern for the next few days.  We're waiting until she hits 32 weeks gestation and then they will try weaning her down off her CPAP. Once she is off CPAP, we can try "practice nursing".  Practice nursing is when she nurses after I've pumped so she won't get very much milk.

Yesterday when I arrived, Children's Mercy Critical Care Transport was picking up a very sick baby for transport to their higher level NICU.  The loved ones were crying, it was very sad, I cried for them a bit.  I assured them CMH was a wonderful place with wonderful people, they thanked me, but I'm sure this isn't something they ever wanted to do or know about.

They moved our neighbor to another hospital today because they needed more beds at our hospital, things are crazy busy right now.  I believe they had at least 5 new admits today.  I met a mom who had triplets last week, that sounds exhausting.

Baby Girl had her first ROP (Retinopathy of Prematurity) eye exam on the 6th.  She'll have them every Thursday.  Her eyes looked "good for her gestational age".  She has an 80% chance of developing ROP to some degree given her weight and age at birth.

Baby Girl got an amazing sweater and a couple of hats from an amazing person.  They were crafted with great care and skill and I think she looked adorable in them.


November 5:

Weight: 1550 grams +50 grams (3lbs 5oz)
Milk: 1030 (34.33 oz)
Feeds: 27 ml fortified to 24 calories pushed over 30 min, 1 ml protein x 8/day (every feeding)
Iron supplement 1 ml
Tri-Vi-Sol .5 ml twice a day
CPAP 21%-30% oxygen, Peep 5
Day Nurse: Lindsey
Night Nurse: Megan

November 6:

Weight: 1610 grams +60 grams (3lbs 9oz)
Milk: 1150 (38.33 oz)
Feeds: 28 ml fortified to 24 calories pushed over 30 min, 1 ml protein x 8/day (every feeding)
Iron supplement 1 ml
Tri-Vi-Sol .5 ml twice a day
CPAP 21%-30% oxygen, Peep 5
Day Nurse: Lindsey
Night Nurse: Kimberli

1 comment: