Sunday, May 16, 2010

We did our Fetal Echo on Friday and after some wrangling, they were able to get good pictures. I have been feeling pretty OK with everything after a couple of weeks to process. So I felt pretty prepared for the situation. After the echo, the doctor came in and explained what we know based on the fetal echo (looking inside a body, to look inside a body to look inside a heart isn’t the clearest picture you’ll get).


So, we definitely have a complete AVSD. The valve is one big valve, but it doesn’t leak, which is apparently also a good thing. Finally, because the Aorta and Pulmonary Artery were both the same size, the overriding aorta may be less of a concern. The same sizes mean we probably don’t have to worry about Pulmonary Stenosis.

The current plan is to give birth at a hospital with a level III NICU. They will send over a cardiologist to evaluate the baby within a couple of days after the birth. I’m planning a natural child birth (Lord help me) so now it’s back to preparing for childbirth and whatever comes after!

I still worry occasionally about the 1/3 chance of Down Syndrome. But all we can do is wait and see.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you have a better picture (literally and figuratively) of what you are dealing with! I was going to email you but didn't want to bug you! I've been praying! Email me if you need to vent, cry, laugh or whatever! :o)

    As for the Downs, I will continue to pray that you guys are at peace with whatever comes your way. You seem to be able to handle all of this much better than I do! Keep staying strong! :o)

    ReplyDelete